P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Oaken Throne?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like the 'editing' of the articles in OT - in mine, for example, I originally said that Nargaroth was an example of a pretty good one-man-band to them being 'one of my favourite bands', all due to a single editing decision. In the Cult of Daath interview in that issue too, there seems to be a few remarks taken totally out of context. I guess that kind of thing happens everywhere though.

www.myspace.com/cainaband
http://www.last.fm/user/WilburWhateley

Good traders/sellers: Yosuke, Grief, s.charlach x2, Blekt , headnhalf x2, destrucSEAN, Sadovahr x3, GROUND ZERO Entertainment, Ykh
svoegtlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caina wrote:
In the Cult of Daath interview in that issue too, there seems to be a few remarks taken totally out of context. I guess that kind of thing happens everywhere though.

I put that CoD piece together. There was nothing taken out of context. The Eds made some strange "stylistic" changes, but essentially every question asked was stated in the piece along with every response.

Things are taken out of context when a writer has an agenda and isn't satisfied with just letting the subject be. I'm a big fan of CoD, so I can say, I aint got a fuckin' agenda.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 pages about Oakenthrone?

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things:

1) I'm going to start using "breath taking" in my reviews from now on

2) What in the bloody fucking hell is wrong with only writing about music that you actually like and want to bring attention to? I write for a blog and we plan on eventually putting out a printed form of some of our content, and there will be nothing in there about shit that we don't like. I don't see any point in not only providing attention for shitty music, but for wasting my own time on writing about crap that I couldn't care less about. If this somehow makes you think that my writing lacks heart, then I really have no answer for that, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. When I try to write about things that I don't care about, THAT is when my writing has no 'heart.' When I'm writing about music that I care passionately about, then my heart is in it.
HHJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caina wrote:
HHJ wrote:
I always kind of felt weird about reading interviews with bands in article form.I know its a creative medium for the writer,but sometimes,it makes a mountain out of a molehill,and hard to take seriously.Especially if the band is in the demo stages.Im curious if other people feel that way and prefer to read interviews in the usual question/answer form,or if they prefer the article kind.

Yeah, I prefer to read Q/A style interviews, particularly when I've actually done the interview in Q/A style (like my OT interview) and they turn it into an article. It feels a little stilted and unnatural. It can work with phone interviews though - my Metal Hammer interview was done over the phone and transcribed into an article, and works much better.

i agree,at least when it comes to the phone or a live one one an interview,there is something more "real" about it,you can at least describe emotions and so on,but otherwise,i agree with you.Its to the point where i find myself skipping the article bits and getting to the answers,especially when it is a band im allready quite familiar with.
HHJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodens Grav wrote:
Two things:

1) I'm going to start using "breath taking" in my reviews from now on

2) What in the bloody fucking hell is wrong with only writing about music that you actually like and want to bring attention to? I write for a blog and we plan on eventually putting out a printed form of some of our content, and there will be nothing in there about shit that we don't like. I don't see any point in not only providing attention for shitty music, but for wasting my own time on writing about crap that I couldn't care less about. If this somehow makes you think that my writing lacks heart, then I really have no answer for that, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. When I try to write about things that I don't care about, THAT is when my writing has no 'heart.' When I'm writing about music that I care passionately about, then my heart is in it.

i agree but its also good to see a writer rages against what he feels is wrong if he feels so inclined.I read an issue of northern heritage,where hes got a section of just criticism about things in the scene and of course it is good to see,because alot of zine editors are afraid to alienate themselves with their opinions and it shows some balls.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the latest issue? It's fucking eye candy to say the least.
I am a sucker for visuals and this rag delivers.
Forget reviews and interviews, it's just purty to look at.
HHJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
Has anyone seen the latest issue? It's fucking eye candy to say the least.
I am a sucker for visuals and this rag delivers.
Forget reviews and interviews, it's just purty to look at.

thatss always a big draw for me hehe
In Solitude

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHJ wrote:
...it is good to see,because alot of zine editors are afraid to alienate themselves with their opinions and it shows some balls.

I don't think you necessarily need to show "balls" by deliberately seeking out releases to bash. If I wrote reviews, I would probably write 99% of them about music that I love. Sometimes, I am moved to tell people about how awful something is, but that is a lesser occurrence than me getting excited about great music/art/what have you.
HHJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Solitude wrote:
HHJ wrote:
...it is good to see,because alot of zine editors are afraid to alienate themselves with their opinions and it shows some balls.

I don't think you necessarily need to show "balls" by deliberately seeking out releases to bash. If I wrote reviews, I would probably write 99% of them about music that I love. Sometimes, I am moved to tell people about how awful something is, but that is a lesser occurrence than me getting excited about great music/art/what have you.

no i totally understand you,and i dont say this just in reference to reviews,but its a more challenging and engaging read when someone talks about some things/trends/people etc. that they just dont like,things they feel could change for the better,you may agree or you may not but it gets one thinking either way and that is good.Sometimes its interesting to see interviews that purposely challenge the band with tough questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: