P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Demo MC trading...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabalgabow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snaps666 wrote:
Thanks for your inputs.
Is it in your opinion a bit "to easy" just to make a release this way?
I mean can you call yourself a label (demo MC of course), when you just xerox 100 covers and make some CDRs?

This is bit easier and not easier: When you trade master + covers, the postage costs are cheaper... BUT you have to copy all the tapes you receive in return... To the contrary to pro tapes you receive from the factory...
I'd rather say than master + covers makes it cheaper, but much more time consuming...
Why couldn't it be a label? Is there only a valid definition of a "label"?

snaps666 wrote:

I'm not sure what to think of it myself. As I do get the point in sending a master + 30 covers half way around the world instead of sending actual cassettes, but then again - it just seem like a very easy solution...

First it's good because you can have much cheaper postage costs.
Then it can also be good, because for exemple if you send 30 covers in Australia or South america, I know some local distros will trade 5 covers with other local distros, and so will help to spread the sickness..
It's at least what I do... Trading back the covers I got in too big quantity...

snaps666 wrote:

We have thought about doing a kind of "licence" of some of our cassettes to places like South Amercia, just to get the music out in those areas. But if we do a thing like this, it would not be before every pro-printed copy is sold out.

It can be a good idea, some labels from south america or south east asia could be interested, but maybe they would rather prefer the master + covers way...

snaps666 wrote:

What I can't help thinking, is that if you get a CDR and some xerox covers anyway, then why not just release a CDR demo in the first place? Then if someone prefers to have it on cassette, they can make a dub and xerox a cover...

Why should someone release a CDr instead of a tape, if he actually prefers tapes?
And why the fuck should a tape be totally pro printed? If it's done right, I don't see any problem at all...
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabalgabow wrote:
snaps666 wrote:
Thanks for your inputs.
Is it in your opinion a bit "to easy" just to make a release this way?
I mean can you call yourself a label (demo MC of course), when you just xerox 100 covers and make some CDRs?

This is bit easier and not easier: When you trade master + covers, the postage costs are cheaper... BUT you have to copy all the tapes you receive in return... To the contrary to pro tapes you receive from the factory...
I'd rather say than master + covers makes it cheaper, but much more time consuming...
Why couldn't it be a label? Is there only a valid definition of a "label"?

snaps666 wrote:

I'm not sure what to think of it myself. As I do get the point in sending a master + 30 covers half way around the world instead of sending actual cassettes, but then again - it just seem like a very easy solution...

First it's good because you can have much cheaper postage costs.
Then it can also be good, because for exemple if you send 30 covers in Australia or South america, I know some local distros will trade 5 covers with other local distros, and so will help to spread the sickness..
It's at least what I do... Trading back the covers I got in too big quantity...

snaps666 wrote:

We have thought about doing a kind of "licence" of some of our cassettes to places like South Amercia, just to get the music out in those areas. But if we do a thing like this, it would not be before every pro-printed copy is sold out.

It can be a good idea, some labels from south america or south east asia could be interested, but maybe they would rather prefer the master + covers way...

snaps666 wrote:

What I can't help thinking, is that if you get a CDR and some xerox covers anyway, then why not just release a CDR demo in the first place? Then if someone prefers to have it on cassette, they can make a dub and xerox a cover...

Why should someone release a CDr instead of a tape, if he actually prefers tapes?
And why the fuck should a tape be totally pro printed? If it's done right, I don't see any problem at all...

I also think part of the argument lies with the increasing rise of bands and labels making crap CD-R/Tape releases to get stuff cheap in trade and spread bedroom black metal music that is probably not worth hearing. I can get 100 CD-R's + labels + cases for no more than $50 sell them for $1 each + postage. With tapes I can xerox about 100 covers for $4, and up to 1,000 for $40. I can also get about 100 tapes with cases for $75-100 depending on where I go, so to make a release becomes really cheap.

Being this cheap almost anyone can run a label, and may be releasing stuff that nobody wants to hear meaning there are less people now buying a demo tape than there probably were 10-20 years ago.

To make a pro tape still can be affordable in a decent enough print run between $200-400 easily making it between $1-2 per tape. The only real disadvantage for the extra money is in the long run postage will rise in price. Though financially if you're trying to support a band and the music, it really doesn't seem underground attitude to cut corners, and instead give the music you're releasing its full support you possibly can. This is what makes releases like the NWN releases as great as they are, it gives bands the best releases and the fans can get the music however they want.

I very much like DIY home made cassette releases, and know enthusiasts who do as well so this isn't an issue for me, but some may seem this as a cheap way to release stuff. In the end I guess it's the music itself though which is most important, if there is a good band who is released in CD-R or home made tapes, then they're just as worthwhile as a band with official cd, pro tape, or vinyl release! Releasing something on any format doesn't change what bands are worth buying.
gabalgabow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:

I very much like DIY home made cassette releases, and know enthusiasts who do as well so this isn't an issue for me, but some may seem this as a cheap way to release stuff. In the end I guess it's the music itself though which is most important, if there is a good band who is released in CD-R or home made tapes, then they're just as worthwhile as a band with official cd, pro tape, or vinyl release! Releasing something on any format doesn't change what bands are worth buying.

It's true,
but there's as much boring music released on pro CDs and any other format... It's not only about being the cheapest format...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: