P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Grunge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did it really matter?
Alice in Chains
37%
 37%  [ 47 ]
Green River
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Mad Season
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Mother Love Bone
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Melvins
12%
 12%  [ 16 ]
Nirvana
25%
 25%  [ 32 ]
Pearl Jam
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Screaming Trees
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Soundgarden
13%
 13%  [ 17 ]
Temple of the Dog
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 124

hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
^Junkhead says it all.

Yep. "Dirt" the song, is even more so. He was talking about pulling a Cobain before Cobain did it. "I want you to scrape me from the walls..." what a lyric.

"Rain When I Die" remains a favorite, for sure. Layne had a really different kind of voice, it's not something you can emulate, it's more a voice of struggle and defeat. And who can't deny the power of the riff in "We Die Young".
hellmask

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
it never got beyond the sound of the early Beatles being molested by Black Sabbath and Black Flag.

I like that description! I remember reading somewhere that Nirvana had a tape that they listened to a lot during the recording of Bleach...as I recall, the story goes that the tape had The Knack on side A and Celtic Frost on side B! I always thought that was a pretty fair description of the sound on that album...everything from pop like "About A Girl" to sludge like "Paper Cuts". Not many bands are/were able to competently handle both ends of that spectrum.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt was also a fan of early Swans. You can really feel that on Endless, Nameless.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellmask wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
it never got beyond the sound of the early Beatles being molested by Black Sabbath and Black Flag.

I like that description! .

It's a good one, but I can't take credit for it. Heard it in a documentary or book I read when I was really into Nirvana when I was 12. I'm pretty sure that description was what caused me to go buy my first Black Sabbath album, actually. I quickly forgot about Nirvana after that Laughing Alice in Chains is the only band from that era/scene that I still really love, I never stopped liking them even as I did the typical teenage plunge into only the fastest and heaviest music I could find.

hellmask wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that Nirvana had a tape that they listened to a lot during the recording of Bleach...as I recall, the story goes that the tape had The Knack on side A and Celtic Frost on side B!

As mentioned a few pages back, this is true but it was actually the Beatles, not the Knack. They were pretty into metal. Cobain used to draw really good Eddie's in his high school note books too.
DEADLIFT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never liked Nirvana except for an handful of songs.

AIC-Would?
Goosebumps...
Vanitas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
Vanitas wrote:
Frozen wrote:
Vanitas wrote:
Soul Erosion wrote:

Also AIC for me: their music can be even more dark then all the ritualistic crap that is mentioned on this forum on a weekly basis...

True.

I love the band, but I still feel Nirvana had a stronger creative narrative, perhaps due to Kurt having total control, while Jerry and Layne would share that position in Alice In Chains.

Well, I think that was exactly the reason why AiC are/were a better band - they had more creativity than Nirvana.

Also, Layne sounds to me like a desperate junkhead I feel sorry for, while I've always thought about Kurt as of a spoiled teenager making too much drama, so I'm not even close into Nirvana as I am into AiC. Novoselic's insane, probably drug-fueled, stories about the war, us Serbs and Croatian Middle-Age kings didn't help either.

To call someone who was rejected by his parents, homeless, and suffered from bipolar disorder a "spoiled teenager" is kind of... "autistic" for lack of better word. Kurt probably realised that nothing in the world could save him from his disease, and chose to end his life, like a lot of people who suffer from depression do, - and with good reason, I might add.

Was Nirvana, and thus also Kurt's life, overexposed? Surely, but they were just a more genuine band than Alice in Chains, who never totally managed to shed their glam rock origins, and related posturing. There's a certain cheesiness to a track, such as "Junkhead", that Nirvana transcended. Don't get me wrong, Dirt is a great record, but much of their catalogue appears unfocused.

I also like how Nirvana were very careful about their choice of producers, while many of their peers simply went for whatever top producer they could get. In Utero is one of the most uncompromising major label records ever made, - and what a way to follow up Nevermind. Alice in Chains' self-titled album also represented a darker turn, but it was just too polished to have a similar impact.

Yes, it is. However, that was the impression I had when i first heard of them and later saw almost every outsider girl in the school wearing his face on a shirt. The Internet and all the other info came later.

For me, Bleach is the best Nirvana album and actually the only I really enjoy. AiC is different, I like all their albums (those with Layne more than the rest, of course) and I never thought about their sound as of something that should've been done different.
Apostle of Plague

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
Layne had a really different kind of voice, it's not something you can emulate...

so how did this guy rate? heard/read enough folks claim he sounded just like him. never bothered with it.

Snark Shark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
hellmask wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:

I like that description! .

It's a good one, but I can't take credit for it. Heard it in a documentary or book I read when I was really into Nirvana when I was 12.

I THINK that was Kurt's description of their sound, as intended to be used for a press release, or something of that nature.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random thoughts from someone who was a teenager just getting into death metal when grunge broke and thus hated it at the time:

- Most of my friends were into it, I viewed it as pop music, but compared to the pop music of today it actually had some musical merit.

- Never liked Nirvana, probably because you couldn't go anywhere or turn anything on without hearing them. Plus I hate the Pixies.

- Jesus Christ Pose was a great song.

- Alice In Chains was easily the best band of the bunch for a lot of the reasons people here have stated.

- It killed glam rock, that is and forever will be a good thing.

- That Paw song Jessie was really good, I also remember seeing that video on Headbangers Ball.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

under a funeral shroom wrote:
Random thoughts from someone who was a teenager just getting into death metal when grunge broke and thus hated it at the time:

- Most of my friends were into it, I viewed it as pop music, but compared to the pop music of today it actually had some musical merit.

- Never liked Nirvana, probably because you couldn't go anywhere or turn anything on without hearing them. Plus I hate the Pixies.

- Jesus Christ Pose was a great song.

- Alice In Chains was easily the best band of the bunch for a lot of the reasons people here have stated.

- It killed glam rock, that is and forever will be a good thing.

- That Paw song Jessie was really good, I also remember seeing that video on Headbangers Ball.

I was already into death/thrash when grunge hit, and I myself could not stand it at all because it was shoved down my throat, so I ignored it. It took many years for me to finally give a shot once the buzz and everything came to a halt. I discovered there were some great heavy bands and I really think listening to it many years down the road helped. I would have absolutely hated this stuff in 1991-92. I mean who wanted to listen to Nirvana when The Ten Commandments, Blessed Are The Sick, Effigy of The Forgotten, etc were all bludgeoning ears.
dronevil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apostle of Plague wrote:

so how did this guy rate? heard/read enough folks claim he sounded just like him. never bothered with it.

The vocals on the new records sounded familiar, but some says it was mostly Jerry doubling himself instead of the new singer.
Apostle of Plague

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
The vocals on the new records sounded familiar, but some says it was mostly Jerry doubling himself instead of the new singer.

that just makes it all the more confounding to me that they added him. had they continued with Cantrell fronting the band instead of trying to replace Staley, i might have given it a chance (i wasn't a complete non-fan, i did have Dirt, didn't ever buy Facelift but i love "Bleed The Freak", imo it was just like a lot of those bands then - mtv and fm radio always seem to take the worst songs and play them to death until you got sick of it. was the same with Soundgarden and "Black Hole Sun", "Spoonman", etc - made me not want to listen to them on my own time ever).

whatever the official story was, i just couldn't help imagining that he was some hipster (from Atlanta?) with industry connections who secured them a new record deal if he could join the band.
dronevil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apostle of Plague wrote:
whatever the official story was, i just couldn't help imagining that he was some hipster (from Atlanta?) with industry connections who secured them a new record deal if he could join the band.

His old band has been touring with Jerry since 2001.
tootrve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of AiC opening Clash of the Titans (Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax)? The tour prior they’d opened for....Extreme.
BREW HAMMER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meat Puppets
Ween

AIC had some great moments... Down in a hole for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: