P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Mayhem Live in Sarpsborg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AOD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my LP today. Looks nice, the booklet is great (as the other booklets on Leipzig and Zeitz)...but something is wrong with the audio I think. The YouTube link doesn't play the actual 2017 Peaceville version...
I compared both versions (2017 Peaceville and original "Dawn Of The Black Hearts" LP) and the latter sounds so much better I think. The Peaceville version has some audible azimuth issues (treble range sounds like either a cheap MP3 file or like recorded underwater...not sure what source they used for the new reissue...I think it would have been the best solution to simply copy the original DOTBH CD content...or maybe they used a wrong master for the new LP ? Who knows ?
Baron Death

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Mayhem Live in Sarpsborg Reply with quote

The source is supposed to be from a master VHS tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqAqQKE5flY&t=1498s
AOD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not really important if you use a playback deck with a misaligned azimuth for the digital transfer...that makes the entire transfer and remastering useless.
KALITAS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOD wrote:
I received my LP today. Looks nice, the booklet is great (as the other booklets on Leipzig and Zeitz)...but something is wrong with the audio I think. The YouTube link doesn't play the actual 2017 Peaceville version...
I compared both versions (2017 Peaceville and original "Dawn Of The Black Hearts" LP) and the latter sounds so much better I think. The Peaceville version has some audible azimuth issues (treble range sounds like either a cheap MP3 file or like recorded underwater...not sure what source they used for the new reissue...I think it would have been the best solution to simply copy the original DOTBH CD content...or maybe they used a wrong master for the new LP ? Who knows ?

That's fucking depressive to hear.

Are last Leipzig and Zeitz worth the purchase ir also mp3tovinyl with nice layout?
Good deals with: AbyssmalXI, A.P.I, behherit, Bostitch, deathster, Final Holocaust, Gangraen, gasskammer, harmless, In Solitude, isellmycollection, krakentorso, Pim, power_hazard, SkullKrusher, Syrragh, TarMorion, Zaephar.
Gia Thanatos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitz is great both on the sound and layout.

214N10 wrote: i met different people at concerts with which i debated archgoat in detail and we all came to the conclusion that is death/black metal
Humus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: is there any difference between the original and the reissued Live in Leipzig? Sound-wise I mean.
AOD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leipzig and the new Zeitz version sound great and were definitely sourced from lossless masters.
Not sure what happened to the Sarpsborg audio, but as I said, there is something wrong, compared to earlier (unofficial) releases of that gig...but I will keep it for the booklet and listen to "Dawn Of The Black Hearts" instead.
Humus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Leipzig sounds different than the Obscure plasma version? Just wondering if I really need to spend money on a liveshow I already have. Though I did order Jessheim while I also own Dawn of the blackhearts. Somehow I thought the official version would sound better than the old bootleg.
KALITAS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
So Leipzig sounds different than the Obscure plasma version? Just wondering if I really need to spend money on a liveshow I already have. Though I did order Jessheim while I also own Dawn of the blackhearts. Somehow I thought the official version would sound better than the old bootleg.

You mean Sarpsborg? I think Jessheim is next.
Good deals with: AbyssmalXI, A.P.I, behherit, Bostitch, deathster, Final Holocaust, Gangraen, gasskammer, harmless, In Solitude, isellmycollection, krakentorso, Pim, power_hazard, SkullKrusher, Syrragh, TarMorion, Zaephar.
Naisen Ketsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbid, Mayhem and more.:

"Mayhem - Live In Sarpsborg (February 28, 1990)
Official release by peaceville records - April 7th, 2017.
This release includes a 8 pages booklet featuring interviews with Jon Metalion, Messiah, Manheim, "Raggen" from the band Equinox and Thomas Andresen from the band Buttocks.
Despite some blunders (nothing really important), it is a good release.
The layout and design of the booklet are a good tribute to Slayer mag. (the gig was organized to help Jon and his magazine).
The sound is a bit better than all other bootlegs.
As I said, it is a good, descent release and tribute to Pelle and Řystein even if maybe not enough, there is something missing.
1st version : Clear vinyl limited to 1000 copies.
2nd version : black vinyl will be available soon.
3rd version : cd (later)"

Going to buy the black one when it comes because I don't have Dawn of The Black Hearts and I have the two earlier ones on black vinyl. Hoping not to get disappointed about the sound issue, but this guy says it's better than all the bootlegs? Hmm... And I wonder what he thinks is missing.. Anyone have a clue?
AOD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naisen Ketsu wrote:
Morbid, Mayhem and more.:

"Mayhem - Live In Sarpsborg (February 28, 1990)
Official release by peaceville records - April 7th, 2017.
This release includes a 8 pages booklet featuring interviews with Jon Metalion, Messiah, Manheim, "Raggen" from the band Equinox and Thomas Andresen from the band Buttocks.
Despite some blunders (nothing really important), it is a good release.
The layout and design of the booklet are a good tribute to Slayer mag. (the gig was organized to help Jon and his magazine).
The sound is a bit better than all other bootlegs.
As I said, it is a good, descent release and tribute to Pelle and Řystein even if maybe not enough, there is something missing.
1st version : Clear vinyl limited to 1000 copies.
2nd version : black vinyl will be available soon.
3rd version : cd (later)"

Going to buy the black one when it comes because I don't have Dawn of The Black Hearts and I have the two earlier ones on black vinyl. Hoping not to get disappointed about the sound issue, but this guy says it's better than all the bootlegs? Hmm... And I wonder what he thinks is missing.. Anyone have a clue?

I clearly prefer the DAWN OF THE BLACK HEARTS audio...very sad that they didn't get it right with the official release...sounds worse to me, compared to the 1995 boot.
CR99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought it since I don't have the original and I probably won't throw a cool 300+€ at one any time soon. Too bad it's apparently not as good as Zeitz though.
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this ended up indeed NOT being an upgrade to Dawn...? What a waste as it was advertised as having been taken from a superior copy and so on.

Will stick to Dawn of the Black Hearts then.

Is the reissue of Live in Leipzig taken from a better copy as the old CD or am I just confused by the posts here? I've actually always thought Leipzig could benefit from an actual, good remaster, specifically some EQ-ing I mean.
Deathwish
banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who follows The True Mayhem Collection Facebook page will know that Finn actually ended up tracking down a guy who filmed this Sarpsborg gig from the front of the stage... he uploaded a few seconds a good while ago... So maybe the sound is much better on that recording than the original one that everyone knows.
I expect this footage will also be included in this planned Peaceville boxset..i think it is also to include a book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: