P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Size of a Print Run?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Size of a Print Run? Reply with quote

FallenChrist wrote:
So, I recently started up a fanzine. It's not going to be anything too fancy, just a bunch of interviews (already have Karnarium, Infinitum Obscure, Graveyard, and many others) and reviews of true ancient Death Metal totaling around 70-80 B&W A5 pages. But, my question is, how many copies should I get printed for the first issue? I've never done this before, so I'm trying to gauge the interest level for it. Thanks.

In my opinion xero for first issue is best idea, you make as many copies as you need at the moment How many copies you'll spread depends only from your contacts and trades (for sure you'll trade more copies than sell).
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com
FallenChrist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I've looked at bestvaluecopy.com before, and it's definitely the cheapest place I've found! I also noticed they give free delivery on orders over 125$, so about 155-160 copies at the size indicated would reach that price.

I've already promised some copies to the bands I've interviewed, and I definitely plan to trade away many copies. Unfortunately, I live in a Minnesota, which doesn't really have any Metal record shops and rarely hosts any (good) concerts. Any recommendations for distros in the US that are eager to trade?

Ross, I'll surely look into collaborating with some labels, that sounds like a good plan. Is this something I could feasibly do now or should I wait until the zine is more established?
HHJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallenChrist wrote:
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I've looked at bestvaluecopy.com before, and it's definitely the cheapest place I've found! I also noticed they give free delivery on orders over 125$, so about 155-160 copies at the size indicated would reach that price.

I've already promised some copies to the bands I've interviewed, and I definitely plan to trade away many copies. Unfortunately, I live in a Minnesota, which doesn't really have any Metal record shops and rarely hosts any (good) concerts. Any recommendations for distros in the US that are eager to trade?

Ross, I'll surely look into collaborating with some labels, that sounds like a good plan. Is this something I could feasibly do now or should I wait until the zine is more established?

If the distro seems to allready have a bunch of zines in stock i say go for it
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallenChrist wrote:

Your best best would be trading. Most labels, bands, zines, whatever trade more stock than they'll usually end up selling.

Whoever said to sell it at cost + postage was absolutely right. Remember, there is no money in this. Us zine editors are broke bastards. If you want people to pick up a copy of your zine you need to make it as cheap as possible. I often find the most rewarding aspect of a zine is the creation process I put it through, and then, seeing the bands I like being supported. Making money is no issue of concern.

Go brush your doll's hair.
HHJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilhelm wrote:
FallenChrist wrote:

Your best best would be trading. Most labels, bands, zines, whatever trade more stock than they'll usually end up selling.

Whoever said to sell it at cost + postage was absolutely right. Remember, there is no money in this. Us zine editors are broke bastards. If you want people to pick up a copy of your zine you need to make it as cheap as possible. I often find the most rewarding aspect of a zine is the creation process I put it through, and then, seeing the bands I like being supported. Making money is no issue of concern.

agreed,its not like an album or something,an underground fanzine is a cash vortex,just try to lose the least amount of money possible is how you have to look at it
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually lost tons of money on my zine because I wanted to keep it dirt cheap. If you want it to be even cheaper actually, you can get some ads in... but that cuts on the quality of the content (althought it is always fun to read really old ads!)
HHJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire Commando wrote:
I actually lost tons of money on my zine because I wanted to keep it dirt cheap. If you want it to be even cheaper actually, you can get some ads in... but that cuts on the quality of the content (althought it is always fun to read really old ads!)

yeah... i couldnt imagine putting ads in mine,but yes,it is fun to read old ones.my problem was i really was too ambituous at first,i was hoping to make it glossy and all that but it was crushing to see how much that would cost.I wanted to make like the best looking underground zine ever heheh

as much as i like cut and paste old school looking zines,i just felt the world didnt need another one of those...i wanted to do something different..more modern.
HHJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahaha this looks great

Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yeah, this is Jo on the front. I'm on the back.
FallenChrist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, making money was the farthest thing from my mind when I started this. I am gonna do my best to break even though, because, like a lot of metalheads, I'm broke!

I'm not sure how I feel about ads. I actually kind of like looking at them in zines. Plus, if I'm helping out some great bands, then the inclusion of a few ads seems ok to me. If I were to feature any though, I would lower the price of the zine accordingly.
gabalgabow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallenChrist wrote:

I occur to buy zines wholesale for my distro (Often 5-6 copies of an issue),
get in touch when it's ready... It might do it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: